RSS
Welcome to my movie blog, containing reviews and articles. I've been writing since 2004 - with a short break during 2009.

My movie year (so far...)


How are we all today? We all read and digested yesterday's entry? No, thought not...

Today I sat down and tried to work out how many films I have seen so far this year...

The Godfather, of course...my life now revolves around seening Godfather II. A perfect film. Particular mention must go to the excellent wedding scene, which manages to introduce every major character, set up events which won’t play out until the final minutes, as well as being absolutely hooking. Yeh, you know what I’m talking about. The “band leader” story…perfectly chilling, and wonderful. If Michael needs a Mrs Corleone the Third, all he has to do is ask...

Vertigo is critically acclaimed and everyone's favorite Hitchcock. It comes 7th on the bumper list of the best films ever (more on that next time), and 2nd on the Total Film list. I honestly didn't see what the fuss was about. However, I watched it at 5:00 in the morning during a stay-up-all-night dare, which may account for my disagreeing with every major film critic ever. Chilling in the way that Edgar Allan Poe is chilling: "it's just an old book(film), it can't be that scary. Oh ha ha how patheti...Jesus!!"

The Eagle has Landed starred Michael Caine, and basically that explains everything. Have you ever noticed how films based on books always have cracking scripts? Authors spend a lot more care on their dialogue than your average screenwriter. A heroic effort, but the "Germans soldiers are human too" message was bashed so hard that all subtlety was lost. "I don't like what you've done- but I am greatful for the life of my child" Please...

I saw Young Frankenstein, but I can't think of anything intelligent to say about it. Not as funny as Blazing Saddles, but still pretty funny. "Frau Blucher!"

Girl in the Cafe was pretty pitiful. As a rom-com it was quite sweet, but as soon as it started trying to be politically active I got bored. I hate protest films...

The Untouchables was great fun - cheerfully violent and noticably well made - indeed I occasionally thought they were trying too hard. Anyway, moment of the movie goes to the would-be assassin entering Malone's house (is it Malone? I can never quite catch names...) . The music was irritating though...one interesting fact about this film is that it starred John Barrowman as an extra, but I didn't manage to spot him - which was irritating because I've got a friend who is, to put it mildly, obsessed.

Speaking of obsessed - I also watched The Sting. Which starred Robert Redford. *sighs* I'm so in love...contained so many twists that it made the M. Night films look like Roman roads. This is a film which deserves at least two watchings to properly appreciate what they're all up to. Of course, anything else I say about it will be coloured by my infandum amorem, so I'll shut up now and dream...

Cabaret reminded me very much of Chicago in the way it was structured (with The Show as a metaphor for life). It was a pity I didn't like the music very much. Apart from that it was perfect - Sally must be one of the best characters I've seen in a while. The gradual Nazi takeover is wonderfully subtle, and who can forget "Tomorrow Belongs to Me". Look forward to the "Oh screw Max!" argument.

During the local Foreign Film Festival, I visited the cinema twice. Once to see Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring again. Apart from having possibly one of the most irritating titles ever, this was a wonderfully whimsical film. Zen Weekly meets National Geographic. Though I think someone needs to have a chat with them about animal cruelty...my favorite section was definitely autumn. The words on the decking! And that poor cat...
And once to see Dancer in the Dark, which was, er...directed by Lars von Trier and starred Bjork. It was wierd, especially as the Hollywood musical is practically everything Dogme is opposed to. Consiquently the musical sequences were disjointed and eerie. The "Last Song" left the cinema pretty well flooded.

Brokeback Mountain was more in the line of Cowboy Weekly meets National Geographic - both hauntingly beautiful when in the wild, and painfully ugly when in the urban areas. Not as good as I wanted it to be, though predictably enough I left sobbing. I have this irrational dislike of Heath Ledger as well which didn't help.


Most recent love affair with film, though, is the adaption of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I recommend this film to anyone with a brain who would enjoy remaining pleasantly confused for an hour and a half. Hamlet has always been my favorite Shakespeare play, and this makes it even better. With great comic rapport between the leads, a cracking script and some of the most quotable quotes, this film is definitely one of my favorites. Warning: do not watch alone. You're going to want to play that question game later...

And that brings me almost up to the present. Although I can't believe that's all the films I've seen so far, it'll do. I intend to hold my own awards ceremony at the end of the year, so I need to start keeping track!

Last film watched: The first half of The Longest Day

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Cinecism. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy